Regardless of the ups and downs, 2020 has been a magical yr for tech information in The Magic Metropolis. We have a look again to see a few of Birmingham’s largest tech occasions in 2020, together with the Ed Farm announcement.
Startup and contest accelerators
1. Alabama Launchpad awarded $ 600Okay to 10 startups
In 2020, 10 startups joined the rising household of Alabama Launchpad winners. In case you did not know, Alabama Launchpad is the Probably the most energetic early stage seed fund investor in the complete state, offering startups with invaluable coaching, suggestions and mentorship from sensible entrepreneurial minds. Moreover, every taking part startup has the chance to earn tens of 1000’s of in undilutable funds.
These are the earlier Alabama Launchpad winners in 2020:
2. Techstars Launches Inaugural Alabama EnergyTech Accelerator
Techstars is a seed accelerator and international platform for funding in innovation, which goals to search out promising startups throughout the nation, present them with world-class funding and recommendation, and appeal to them to technology-friendly cities. This yr, 10 startups from throughout the nation participated within the Techstars Alabama EnergyTech Accelerator kick-off held right here in Birmingham:
- Ashipa electrical (Birmingham, AL) – An power firm centered on growing energy technology belongings and delivering dependable and resilient energy to its prospects, particularly in underserved communities in Africa.
- EnergyHawk (Boston, MA) – A mapping platform that makes use of satellite tv for pc imagery to search out the most effective power amenities for its prospects.
- Canary venture (Denver, CO) – Utilizing customized sensors, Venture Canary goals to scale back the discharge of methane into the ambiance by repeatedly monitoring 1000’s of distant websites.
- Resilient power methods (Atlanta, GA) – Targeted on addressing the upcoming electrical grid upgrades vital for the huge transition to electrical autos.
- with. ought to (Birmingham, AL) – Electrical system mapping and circuit evaluation software program that guides every person by the cautious assortment and evaluation system knowledge.
- Synchronization power (New York, NY) – Creation of an easy-to-use synthetic intelligence-based predictive software program for power evaluation.
- Electrical energy (Salt Lake Metropolis, UT) – Growth of an internet market and software to assist customers within the electrical gear trade simply discover suitable cable elements, manufacturers, and equipment.
- TruSpin (Birmingham, AL) – With the purpose of commercializing a brand new and environment friendly electrospinning technique to mass-produce nanomaterials.
- ShipShape AI (Austin, TX) – A “verify engine mild” on your residence, ShipeShape synthetic intelligence sensor kits scan for irregularities in a house’s methods.
- Virimodo (New York, NY) – Affords a clear power subscription service to assist constructing homeowners energy houses with renewable power.
three. Bronze Valley Accelerator of Birmingham companions with gener8tor to supply a free starter program
The brand new Bronze Valley Accelerator in Birmingham is a free, seven-week, non-profit accelerator for minority-led and entrepreneurial early stage companies. With the assist of Alabama Energy and the Alabama Division of Commerce, the Bronze Valley Accelerator goals to assist startups achieve traction of their discipline AND improve the rising tech ecosystem within the Southeast.
In October, Bronze Valley introduced its inaugural cohort of members:
Be taught extra in regards to the Bronze Valley Accelerator.
Nice information for startups
four. Birmingham Tech Firm Assist Lightning Will get $ eight Million in Funding + Function at Forbes
Earlier this yr, Birmingham startup Assist Lighting garnered $ eight million in Collection A funding, in addition to recognition from Forbes. Assist Lighting’s “merged actuality” software program was tremendously accelerated throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, seeing a rare enhance in demand.
So how does it work? Assist Lighting software program makes use of video interactions to assist with issues and clear up issues. Think about that your TV connection fails and you can’t clear up the issue. Somewhat than calling a house repairman, Assist Lighting allows prospects to video name with the consultants to resolve the difficulty. It is no marvel Assist Lighting got here true this yr!
Be taught extra about Assist Lightning.
5. Touchdown, Shipt’s Invoice Smith Startup, Raises $ 30 Million in Funding
In 2019, we discovered that Shipt founder Invoice Smith was as much as one thing new when he introduced his newest venture. The venture, known as Touchdown, provides short-term housing to touring professionals who could also be in a brand new metropolis each two months. Somewhat than staying in a resort or being locked into an house rental, Touchdown members have entry to a community of absolutely furnished residences which can be prepared to maneuver in at any time.
Invoice Smith backed Touchdown with $ 15 million out of his personal pocket, however he was searching for new buyers. Then in February, Touchdown acquired a further $ 30 million to assist increase to cities like Washington, Chicago, Boston, and extra.
Be taught extra about Touchdown.
6. College Fancards raises greater than $ four million in funding
Native fintech firm College Fancards not too long ago raised greater than $ four million in a Collection A funding spherical. College Fancards provides reloadable pay as you go playing cards that characteristic your favourite soccer group and could be discovered at nationwide chains like Walmart and Goal. .
In keeping with Govt Vice President of Operations Greg Boggs, College Fancards will use the funds to increase advertising and marketing, enhance merchandise and add new faculties to the listing. And meaning new jobs right here in The Magic Metropolis.
Be taught extra about Faculty Fancards.
7. Birmingham-based Fleetio raises $ 21 million in funding
Birmingham-based Fleetio began as a startup working at Innovation Depot in Birmingham’s innovation district – The Change. Now, they’ve their very own constructing within the middle of Birmingham. So what do they do? Fleetio has developed software program to assist corporations simply handle their fleet of autos, from vehicles, vehicles, vans, semi-trailers, heavy gear, and extra.
In November, Fleetio raised $ 21 million in Collection B funding, which is able to assist this rising firm rent new group members, put money into product growth, and supply new companies to prospects.
Birmingham in Nationwide Information
eight. Ed Farm launch in Birmingham
In February 2020, Apple Chief Govt Officer Tim Cook dinner took the stage alongside Mayor Randall Woodfin and Birmingham Metropolis Faculties Superintendent Lisa Herring to launch Ed Farm, an modern instructional initiative centered on methods. modern studying packages proper right here in Birmingham.
Ed Farm companions with educators in Alabama to extend instructional fairness, enhance studying outcomes by know-how, and put together the longer term workforce. Apple itself is offering Ed Farm with hardware, software program, funding, studying assist; in actual fact, Apple awarded greater than 400 new gadgets to Birmingham Metropolis Faculties.
9. Birmingham seems within the Entrepreneur column
In early 2020, Entrepreneur columnist Jeff Barrett described Birmingham as the Most attention-grabbing place you visited in 2019 in your article titled “How Startups Helped Birmingham Rebound”.
In keeping with Barrett, Birmingham is a welcoming place for newcomers to the tech scene. It mentions native Birmingham famous person Shipt and the way Innovation Depot laid the groundwork for a startup-centric scene in The Magic Metropolis. Birmingham’s enticing setting is successful for startups like Mixtroz, which struggled to get off the bottom in Nashville however have thrived at Innovation Depot in Birmingham.
Barrett’s endorsement of Birmingham is useful. Southern Silicon Valley, anybody?