Good day and welcome again to Fairness, TechCrunch’s podcast targeted on enterprise capital, the place we break down the numbers behind the headlines. Glad 2021, or as our personal Danny Crichton aptly calls it, December 38, 2020.
The fairness group is again to begin the brand new yr in full pressure, with Alex, Natasha and Danny on the micros and Chris behind the scenes. The reunion generated excessive joke power from all of us, serving to us overcome the mountain of tech information in entrance of us.
In reality, there was a lot to speak about that we now have a cousin episode due out on Saturday about Roblox and the sport setting. Keep tuned.
For now, that is what’s in as we speak’s episode:
- The distant workspace is fast to treatment your Zoom fatigue, or not less than offers you new methods to deal with it. This week, we noticed GitHub alumni elevate hundreds of thousands for a video repository software, and Teamflow raised extra for a digital platform aimed toward mimicking the serendipity (and productiveness) of their at present closed workplace.
- WeLink raised a $ 185 million Collection A spherical and whereas we might have joked in regards to the monetary nomenclature, there was quite a bit to unravel in regards to the 5G and wi-fi alternative.
- Divvy locked in $ 165 million, turning right into a unicorn within the course of. Contemplate this one other victory for Utah, and an incredible second for the corporate itself, which is working in a really aggressive area.
- We additionally observed plenty of new enterprise capital funds that closed within the ultimate days of 2020, together with One Method, USV, Be taught Capital, and Madrona.
- Hopin went procuring, he acquired StreamYard for 1 / 4 of a billion as a result of they thought he was boppin ‘. Please forgive our try at poetry. Regardless, Hopin spent $ 250 million on StreamYard, a stay streaming know-how platform that goals to function independently. The mixed firm has about $ 65 million in annual recurring income, and the bought entity brings in $ 30 million of that by itself. An enormous drawback.
- Twitter additionally hits the market with a checkbook, podcasting app, and design studio.
- And on the podcast entrance, Amazon can also be out there. This brings up the query, what’s amazon actually Prime, anyway?
- Lastly, we had just a few phrases about why P&G backing out of the Billie buy impacts DTC startups in all places.
As you possibly can see from our laughs and jokes this week, it is actually good to be again. Benefit from the present and remember the Saturday bonus!
Fairness falls each Monday at 7:00 a.m. M. PST and Thursday afternoons as rapidly as potential, so subscribe to us at Apple podcasts, Cloudy, Spotify and all of the casts.