SIDNEY – “As in earlier years, our objective for 2020 was to function many veterans as attainable in Shelby County. We need to join veterans and their dependents to all the advantages they’ve earned, whether or not native, state or federal. The pandemic has prevented us from reaching as many veterans as we usually would in a 12 months, mentioned Chris North, govt director of the Shelby County Workplace of Veterans Companies.
His report continues:
Sadly, our workplace suffered an amazing loss with the passing of one in every of our long-time commissioners, Jon Johnson. Jon served on our Fee for over 11 years. He was a Vietnam Navy veteran who continued to serve defending veterans not solely in Sydney however all through Ohio. Jon will proceed to be significantly missed by all.
Judy Johnson joined our Fee on September three, 2020. Judy is a retired Sergeant Main in the US Military. She can be the primary feminine commissioner within the historical past of the Shelby County Veterans Companies Fee. We’re honored to have her on our board. She brings years of expertise and is exclusive.
Our workplace meals pantry has served over 300 veterans and their dependents this 12 months. We proceed to obtain beneficiant donations from our group. People, households, faculties, church buildings, and companies all through Shelby County proceed to help our efforts and our veterans. We’re really grateful for this group and its love for veterans.
On account of COVID we weren’t capable of have as many outreach occasions as we have now had in earlier years and that is one thing that we have now actually missed. The occasions we have been capable of maintain embrace the next:
• For Memorial Day, we joined forces with all native veterans organizations and embellished graves with flowers and flags all through Shelby County.
• In September, Veterans Service Officer Theresa Manteuffel organized a “Silent Watch” which befell in Court docket Sq. in Sydney. This Watch was a method to elevate consciousness about Veterans Suicide. There was a coffin draped in an American flag and volunteers quietly watched the coffin for 10 hours.
• In December we gave away 300 Christmas Hams to Shelby County Veterans. The hams have been bought from Davis Meats in Sydney.
Our general visitors in 2020 decreased in comparison with prior years. We are able to solely attribute this to the pandemic. Listed below are some statistics that can assist you perceive what we offer to our veterans and their dependents:
• We offer emergency monetary help within the quantity of greater than $ 87,000 to greater than 240 veterans, surviving spouses and dependent kids. This aid consists of issues like: hire, utilities, meals orders, mortgage funds, medical companies, and many others. Our whole sum of money spent on aid and the variety of veterans assisted in 2020 is down greater than 40% in comparison with 2019.
• Our transportation crew transported greater than 499 veterans to appointments at VA medical facilities all through the state of Ohio. Our variety of veterans transported dropped 30% in comparison with 2019.
• We enrolled greater than 30 veterans in VA Healthcare.
• We helped greater than 65 surviving relations apply for VA Grave Markers.
• We helped greater than 200 veterans file incapacity claims with Veterans Affairs for accidents they sustained whereas serving.
• We offer house for a counselor from the Veterinary Middle to satisfy with fight veterans weekly.
In closing, I would really like you to assist us join with extra veterans that we will serve. Be a part of our Fb web page and share the knowledge we promote so we will attain extra veterans. When given the chance, share our workplace with these you already know.
In 2021, we stay up for serving extra veterans and dependents.