Mayor Sefatia Romeo Theken’s workplace has interfered with town’s Well being Division’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic, sharing incorrect info with the general public and bypassing the division to personally prepare vaccination appointments for folks, in response to an electronic mail. electronic mail from Public Well being Director Karin Carroll. .
Giving sure folks entry to the vaccine earlier than others, Carroll stated in his electronic mail, is “inconsistent with the division’s dedication to well being fairness.” It was not instantly clear who was benefiting from appointments organized by means of the mayor’s workplace.
“Makes an attempt have been made to handle these considerations, however participation continues,” Carroll wrote in his electronic mail to the Board of Well being. “Due to this fact, I wish to ask the Board to evaluation these considerations and intervene.”
Carroll, Romeo Theken and Managing Director Nicole Kieser didn’t reply to telephone calls, textual content messages or emails from the Occasions requesting remark.
CAO aide Christopher Sicuranza declined to remark.
Within the April 2 electronic mail, despatched the morning after the Board of Well being’s month-to-month assembly, Carroll briefly summarized six key areas of concern, saying the mayor’s workplace was:
• Spreading incorrect info associated to COVID.
• “Actively help people in securing COVID-19 vaccine appointments outdoors of the involvement of the Division of Well being and inconsistent with the Division’s dedication to well being fairness.”
• Make the most of state assets associated to COVID with out following the chain of command and seek the advice of Carroll or the Board of Well being first.
• Take part in “unofficial COVID contact tracing” outdoors the Well being Division.
• Request COVID-19 info “on the affected person stage” from varied members of the division.
• “Contradict medical recommendation” from the Well being Division monitoring staff.
“These actions, nevertheless nicely intentioned, can adversely (have an effect on) public well being and shouldn’t proceed,” Carroll wrote.
The e-mail didn’t clarify to which members of the mayor’s workplace these actions may very well be attributed.
“These are points that have to be addressed relating to how info is disseminated,” Board of Well being Chairman Richard Sagall instructed the Occasions on Friday. He stated the Board of Well being has not mentioned the way it is perhaps to handle the considerations.
Carroll doesn’t report back to the mayor’s workplace. As an alternative, he works below the Board of Well being, as required by state legislation.
“Massachusetts legislation was established on this manner deliberately,” he wrote, “in order that the well being and security of communities could be absolutely protected with out political interference.”
Editor Taylor Ann Bradford could be reached at 978-675-2705 or firstname.lastname@example.org.