DOH Conditionally Approves First Section Purple Hill Gasoline Offload
Posted Oct 7, 2022 in Navy Water System Incident, Newsroom
HONOLULU – The Hawaii Division of Well being (DOH) has conditionally authorized the US Navy’s unpacking plan to take away present gasoline from three pipelines on the Purple Hill Bulk Gasoline Storage Facility. The Navy’s Unpacking Plan is the primary part of its total plan to empty the Purple Hill Bulk Gasoline Storage Facility, as required by the DOH Emergency Order of Could 6, 2022.
“The Division of Well being is targeted on guaranteeing the Navy offloads Purple Hill safely,” mentioned Deputy Director of Environmental Well being Kathleen Ho. “DOH workers accomplished a cautious assessment of the unpacking plan, noticed spill response drills, and required further environmental management measures to be applied earlier than unpacking can start. We proceed to push for the defueling and closure of the Purple Hill facility to occur as shortly as attainable with security as our first precedence.”
The Navy indicated that the unpacking maneuvers will start within the coming weeks. Eradicating present gasoline from the Purple Hill pipelines will permit the Navy to start important repairs to facilitate the protected offloading of gasoline. These embody repairs to forestall and decrease the impacts of a strain surge occasion just like the one which occurred on Could 6, 2021.
The Navy should search DOH approval on a restore plan and a gasoline dump plan earlier than these phases can transfer ahead.
DOH requires the Navy to take the next further steps to forestall or reply to a spill:
- Full a web site go to to examine repairs and put in methods to divert and get better gasoline within the occasion of a spill;
- Completion of workers coaching to make sure a whole and constant understanding of unpacking;
- Incorporation of DOH feedback into launch response plan procedures;
- Shield preferential routes to the consuming water aquifer;
- Require the Navy to put further personnel and gear on web site that can be utilized to divert or get better gasoline.
Click on right here to learn the conditional approval letter from DOH.
Click on right here to learn the Navy’s unpacking plan.
# # #
PDF: DOH Conditionally Approves First Section Purple Hill Gasoline Offload