SILVER SPRING, Md., June 15, 2021 / PRNewswire / – June 20thth marks the official begin of summer time, which implies heat, sunny days good for picnics and barbecues. Sadly, this time of 12 months can also be a favourite for foodborne micro organism that trigger foodborne sickness (often known as meals poisoning), which multiply quicker at temperatures between 40 ° F and 140 ° F. Comply with the information beneath to maintain your meals secure when consuming outdoor.
Earlier than your picnic
- Thaw meat, poultry, and seafood within the fridge or by submerging sealed packages in chilly water. You may as well defrost within the microwave, however provided that the meals is to be grilled instantly afterwards.
- By no means reuse marinade that has touched uncooked meals until you boil it first or set a number of the marinade apart previous to marinate meals to make use of in sauce later.
- Marinate meals within the fridge, not on the counter.
- Wash all produce earlier than consuming, even for those who plan to peel it. The knife you employ to peel it might probably carry micro organism to the half you eat. Pre-cut or peeled fruit and veggies needs to be refrigerated or saved on ice to take care of high quality and security.
- In case your picnic web site doesn’t supply entry to wash water, convey cleaning soap and water or pack disposable moist towels to wash surfaces and palms.
- Remember to convey a meals thermometer!
- Place meals from the fridge straight into an insulated cooler instantly earlier than leaving dwelling.
- Use ice or ice packs to maintain your fridge 40 ° F or much less.
- Pack uncooked meat, poultry, and seafood in pull aside cooler, or wrap securely and retailer within the backside of the cooler the place juices can’t drip onto different meals. Place drinks in separate cooler; This can present easy accessibility to drinks whereas holding perishable meals coolers closed.
- Keep away from carrying coolers within the trunk of your automobile, as it might probably construct up warmth. As soon as on the picnic web site, preserve meals in coolers till serving time (out of direct solar) and keep away from opening lids steadily.
- Have clear utensils and dishes available. Cook dinner meats, poultry, and seafood al appropriate temperatures ─ use a meals thermometer to make sure (see the Minimal Protected Cooking Temperature Chart). Hold scorching cooked meats 140 ° F or hotter till serving time; place them on the aspect of the grill to maintain heat.
- While you take meals off the grill, put it on a clear plate. By no means use the identical dish and utensils for cooked meals that you just used for uncooked meat, poultry, or seafood.
Time and temperature
Don’t let scorching or chilly meals sit within the “Hazard zone “(between 40 ° F and 140 ° F) For greater than 2 hours – or 1 hour if the skin temperature is above 90 ° F. If that’s the case, throw them away.
Study extra about how one can preserve your meals secure whereas consuming outdoor:
As at all times, keep in mind to additionally observe social distancing (keep 6 toes away from different folks you do not dwell with) and comply with the Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention’s security precautions to guard your self and others. of COVID-19.
Contact: Media: 1-301-796-4540 Customers: 1-888-SAFEFOOD (toll free)
SOURCE US Meals and Drug Administration.