Cannot see the audio participant? Click on right here to hear on Acast. You can even hear on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Pocket Casts, or wherever you take heed to podcasts.
Within the wake of three high-profile mass shootings in lower than a month, lawmakers on Capitol Hill have renewed negotiations on laws that might curb gun violence. However even those that try to succeed in settlement on the problem that has lengthy divided acknowledge that discovering a consensus stays a frightening process.
In the meantime, Congress is operating out of time to resolve whether or not to increase the present extra subsidies for individuals who purchase their very own medical health insurance beneath the Reasonably priced Care Act. States and insurers are actually setting charges for 2023; Absent congressional motion, these a lot greater premiums could be made public simply earlier than the midterm elections.
This week’s panelists are KHN’s Julie Rovner, The New York Occasions’ Margot Sanger-Katz, CQ Roll Name’s Sandhya Raman and Stat’s Rachel Cohrs.
Among the many takeaways from this week’s episode:
- Medicare officers had been beneath strain from lawmakers on Capitol Hill to chop beneficiary premiums after they rose 12% this 12 months on expectations the federal senior well being plan would face hovering payments. for protecting an costly new drug to deal with some circumstances of Alzheimer’s. sickness. When Medicare selected to restrict protection of that drug, Aduhelm, due to considerations about its security and effectiveness, it appeared doubtless that the premium enhance could be lowered. However officers mentioned final week they would not make the adjustment till subsequent 12 months’s premiums.
- That call seems to have been made as a result of a mid-year change in premiums had not been tried earlier than and might be administratively complicated.
- Whereas the prices and advantages of Medicare are sometimes scorching political points, this large enhance in premiums hasn’t drawn a lot criticism. Which may be as a result of the typical Social Safety cost additionally elevated considerably this 12 months, which helped cowl the value enhance.
- Negotiations amongst senators on doable measures to scale back gun violence are tackling points which have eluded passage after mass shootings prior to now, elevating considerations that this effort too might simply backfire. The talks do not contact on many of the controversial steps that gun management advocates usually need, however negotiators may be keen to debate greater than many gun rights advocates have been snug with prior to now. To this point, each Republicans and Democrats concerned within the talks look like engaged in looking for a means ahead, however the effort is delicate and nobody is but predicting the way it will finish.
- Sen. Joe Manchin (DW.Va.), who late final 12 months pulled out of negotiations on President Joe Biden’s “Construct Again Higher” laws, mentioned final week that curbing drug worth will increase, part of that package deal, stays a key concern of his. That will additionally point out that negotiations on a extra restricted legislative package deal could also be transferring ahead.
- Democrats are additionally beneath strain to behave rapidly in the event that they wish to prolong premium subsidies for plans bought within the ACA marketplaces. These bigger subsidies are set to run out on the finish of the 12 months, however state regulators are already working to set costs for the 2023 plans and a few of these calculations hinge on estimates of how many individuals will join.
- As the most recent variant of covid-19 triggers a brand new surge, one group of People stands out as unprotected: youngsters beneath the age of 5. Frustration amongst dad and mom is rising, whilst federal regulators are scrutinizing requests from drugmakers to license vaccines. These vaccines, nonetheless, are for an earlier model of the virus and will have restricted effectiveness in opposition to present variants.
- In response to a leaked draft opinion suggesting the Supreme Court docket is making ready to strike down constitutional protections for abortion in its 1973 Roe vs. Wade resolution, some native prosecutors have introduced that they won’t prosecute well being professionals who carry out abortions. However that is unlikely to be a lot assist to native clinics or medical doctors, who’re anticipated to cease offering such care if they might face felony prices.
Additionally this week, Rovner interviews Michelle Andrews, who reported and wrote the most recent episode of KHN-NPR’s “Invoice of the Month” about an all-too-common downside colonoscopy sufferers face when making an attempt to entry no-cost preventive care. beneath the ACA. You probably have an outrageous medical invoice that you just wish to share with us, you are able to do so right here.
Plus, for additional credit score, the panelists suggest their favourite well being coverage tales of the week that they suppose it is best to learn, too:
Julia Roverner: NPR Throughline’s “Earlier than Roe: The Physicians’ Campaign” by Rund Abdelfatah, Ramtin Arablouei, Julie Caine, Laine Kaplan-Levenson, Lawrence Wu, Victor Yvellez, Casey Miner, Yolanda Sangweni, Anya Steinberg and Deborah George
Rachel Cohr: “Child Formulation Scarcity Worsen by Falling Breastfeeding Charges” from The Wall Avenue Journal, by Jennifer Maloney
Margot Sanger-Katz: The “Opinion: Breastfeeding is not ‘free’ from the Washington Put up. That is what it value me”, by Alyssa Rosenberg
Sandhya Raman: States Information “From skepticism to insurance coverage denials, long-term COVID sufferers face extra than simply well being challenges,” by Annmarie Timmins
Additionally mentioned on this week’s podcast:
“Well being company kicks off environmental justice initiative” from Politico Professional, by Sarah Owermohle
“There could also be a backdoor means for hospitals to receives a commission for Covid-19 care with out insurance coverage,” by Rachel Cohrs
To take heed to all of our podcasts, click on right here.
And subscribe to What the Well being? of KHN. on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Pocket Casts, or wherever you take heed to podcasts.