A number of viruses could cause hepatitis, which is irritation of the liver. These embrace hepatitis A, B, and C. An individual can get hepatitis A by consuming contaminated meals and water.
In the US, the
Nevertheless, an individual can get hepatitis A from consuming contaminated meals.
This text appears on the hyperlink between hepatitis and what an individual eats and drinks. It additionally discusses prevention methods and explains what an individual ought to do if he suspects he has hepatitis.
An individual can’t get hepatitis B or hepatitis C from contaminated meals and water.
Hepatitis B transmission can happen by:
- contact with semen, blood, and different fluids
- utilizing tools, resembling a needle or syringe, that has blood from somebody who has hepatitis B
- sexual contact with somebody who has the virus
- sharing private care objects, resembling razors and toothbrushes
Hepatitis C is unfold by blood. Sharing needles, contaminated blood transfusions, and using unsanitary medical tools, resembling needles or different units, can enable hepatitis C to unfold from one individual to a different.
Transmission of hepatitis B and C can even happen throughout childbirth and in well being amenities with inadequate an infection management.
The Washington State Division of Well being states that an individual can come into contact with hepatitis A in the event that they eat meals or drink water that’s contaminated with the feces of an individual who has the virus.
Due to this fact, the virus can unfold from an individual who doesn’t wash their fingers after utilizing the lavatory after which touches meals.
The meals itself may also be contaminated with hepatitis A. For instance, folks can get hepatitis A in the event that they eat oysters that farmers harvested from sewage-contaminated water.
Though an individual can get hepatitis A from virtually any meals or drink, some
- uncooked fruit or berries
- uncooked greens
You’ll be able to take
Signs of hepatitis A embrace:
You’ll be able to take between
An individual might not expertise the entire above signs, that are
An individual ought to contact a health care provider if they believe they’ve consumed contaminated meals or drink. The physician can do a take a look at to detect the an infection.
For many who should not vaccinated, a healthcare skilled can administer post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) inside
- Hepatitis A vaccine for folks ages 1 by 40
- immunoglobulin that’s particular for hepatitis for these not within the above age vary
An individual doesn’t require PEP if they’ve been vaccinated or have beforehand had hepatitis A.
There isn’t a particular remedy for hepatitis A. Folks ought to drink loads of fluids to switch fluids misplaced on account of diarrhea and vomiting.
The folks can
- wash your fingers for 20 seconds with heat, soapy water earlier than dealing with uncooked meals
- wash fingers after altering diapers
- wash your fingers after utilizing the lavatory
Folks also needs to sanitize their kitchen by following these steps:
- Wash chopping boards, counter tops, utensils, and the within of fridge partitions and cabinets.
- Sanitize the above utilizing an answer consisting of 1 tablespoon chlorine bleach per 1 gallon of sizzling water.
- Dry these areas with a clear fabric or paper towel.
Hepatitis A vaccine
An individual may also be vaccinated towards hepatitis A.
Different teams, resembling males who’ve intercourse with males and those that journey internationally, also needs to be vaccinated.
An individual ought to discuss to a health care provider to find out in the event that they want a vaccine.
An individual can get hepatitis A from consuming contaminated meals or water. This could occur when an individual with the virus prepares or touches meals and drinks after not washing their fingers effectively after going to the lavatory.
To assist stop the unfold of hepatitis A, folks ought to make sure that to clean their fingers and clear their kitchens effectively.
Folks also needs to discuss to a health care provider to see in the event that they want the hepatitis A vaccine.